Volunteer leaders are needed for the Royal British Legion (RBL) Poppy Appeal to continue Northwood’s successful record of collections, typically over £20,000 per year. This year the campaign will start on Saturday 30th October and finish on 14th November 2021. Poppies and Wreaths have been ordered and will be delivered to Northwood in September.
Chris Boultbee has led our appeal since 2012 and will be retiring this year, but will continue to support the Northwood appeal. A new Poppy Appeal Organiser (PAO) is needed to take charge from 2022 who would ideally learn the role by assisting with the 2021 campaign.
Helena Jones and Urszula Gudiens have recently coordinated the Waitrose collection, but are unavailable this year. Sue Boultbee has agreed to organise the rota for 2021 and will oversee this part of the Poppy Appeal for 2021. Volunteers are sought for this role for 2021 under Sue’s guidance and beyond, which could be undertaken / shared by more than one person.
The Northwood Poppy Appeal includes:
- Distribution of wreaths, poppies and collection boxes in Northwood and Northwood Hills before the start of the Appeal. After Remembrance Sunday collection boxes and unused stock are collected and collections, including the Waitrose collections, are counted.
- Collection in Waitrose (Waitrose has agreed we can collect there this year).
This is coordinated with a rota organised in advance to arrange as full a rota as possible and to recruit new collectors. New collectors are always required and assisting with the Waitrose collection is a valued and rewarding experience as well as a way to get involved with our community and support the Poppy Appeal.
The PAO reports to the RBL and:
- manages poppy appeal stock (ordering, distributing, collecting after the appeal and returning / stock-taking)
- supports and coordinates with the Waitrose Collection
- organises counting and banking of Northwood collections
- prepares reports for the Northwood appeal to the RBL
If you can help with the appeal in any way at all, please email the NRA at email@example.com